Egypt prosecutor charges 14 over deadly rail crash
Reuters: Sep 17, 2006
CAIRO - Egypt's public prosecutor on Sunday charged 14 employees of the state's railway authority with negligence which led to the deaths of 56 people in a rail crash last month, a judicial source said.
A report into the crash on August 21 has already blamed a series of human, technical and administrative failures, including a breakdown in the railway's signalling mechanism.
One train ploughed into the back of another, injuring around 150 other people.
Seven of the charged had worked on the railway's signalling systems.
Following the crash in Qalyoub, the authorities fired the head of the state rail authority. The government has said it will allocate $1.5 billion for an overhaul of the antiquated rail system.